From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 04:10:28 -0400
> ... OK next, I have a question about the 8 in 1.  My Ferrets have been
>on 8 in 1 food since day one and they have had no problems with it.
>Hearing about the people that have had problems with it makes me quite
>nervous for the future!  What other Ferret Foods are out there and that
>are proven safe?  I'm thinking of switching foods to avoid any possible
>future problems.  I only want what best for my babies!  You would think
>buying the more expensive food is better for them, but I guess that's not
>always true.  Hmmmm...what to do?...
>Toni D.
 _____________________

I think there is some misunderstanding.  Apparently 8 in1 makes 3 or so
ferret foods, I think the original poster had a problem with the Ultra,
but it is the 8 in 1 Ultimate that is a superior quality food and although
I am sure there are people who will say they have problems with just about
any food, the Ultimate appears to be a good one- Except that it has raisin
juice in it, which I think is unecessary,but I doubt it is much to worry
about.  The Ultra and others are not the best, although I doubt much
different from the other mid to lower quality ones.  If you aren't sure
pick up a bag of food, or go to the ferretstore web site and choose the
food comparison chart under the ferret store food..  Most of the first 3-4
ingredients should be animal meat, by-product, meal, fat, if the first
ingredient is a corn,rice or other filler don't use it as a primary source
of food for a carnivore.  If the second and third ingredients are not
meats, but corn gluten meal, or similar it also is not the best of foods
(IMHO).  I think egg and fish in the top 4 ingredients are o.k.  too (not
the first ingredient), but fish makes the ferrets smell a bit.  The best
way is to read the ingredients, buy a small bag to try, open and look at
color, and smell (compare to Totally ferret, or other high end food and you
will see the difference right away).

Also, if a ferret is doing well on a food, active, nice coat , good poops,
it is unlikely you have to switch.  However, I still feel better making
sure my ferrets have meat, or a food with meat as its top ingredients-
can always add it in a mix if not wanting to change completely.

Patty