From:
reanee gladden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2005 14:52:24 +0000
Recently a friend of mine died.  He was only 57.  He left behind a wife,
a dog, a python and 5 ferrets.  I found out that the ferrets were at the
vets being cared for.  I offered to care for them until the time the wife
could get her life back in order, and do her mourning.  I have ended up
being new momma to these kids, and love them all.  Dave was the main
care taker, he was on disability.  They had a role reversable.

Yvonn dearly loves her ferrets but doesn't know the first thing about
them.  While I was at the symposium she had them back home with her, the
intent was to see if she could handle them and the responsibily of them.
I do have them back to live out their lives with me.

I also just took in two 5 year old little females.  One is adrenal and
bald.  The woman had a home for the cute little fluff ball girl and
wanted a shelter to take in the adrenal gal.  The two have been togeather
since they were kits.  I told her no way should she split them up.
Within an hour of talking to me, she had delivered them to me.

Here on one hand we have a person willing to give a shelter a ferret
needing medical attention, and will to give to another good home the one
that looks just fine.  I find it appaling that people think the shelters
can afford to do all the medical works on ferrets, and are so willing to
dump those ferrets on the shelters.  I have found homes for both the
girls.  ( I am not a shelter but my vet and the petshops seem to think
I am)

On the other hand the woman who lost her hubby, with the five ferrets....
Well she as already paid for the adrenal surgery for one, has given money
for food, and has an account set up with my vet, to have any medical
needs taken care of.  She also comes and visits the kids.  She comes and
helps out at the monthly petapalooza I do.  She still loves these
ferrets, but knows her limits for being there at home for them.  It just
amazes me at the differance in people that are giving up their ferrets.
Some are "getting rid of them"...  Some are "finding a good loving home".

It seems I have ended up being a half way house for a lot of ferrets.
Thank heavens I know two wonderful rescues willing to take in and find
homes for some of the ferrets that are passed to me.

My vet also set up a rescue fund for ferrets, in my friend Dave's name.
I was able to tap into that fund to do the ultra sound on the adreanl
girl.  I know that would have made Dave extremly happy.

Sorry to go on like this, but I just get amazed when a person that
rehomes their ferrets, will take the responsibility to be sure those
ferrets have medical care for the rest of their lives.  It kinda gives
you back a little faith.

It is way too easy to just dump on a shelter or rescue, I would
understand a shelter or rescue asking a fee to take in a ferret.  I
know that wouldn't go over well though.