From:
"Tim C. Watson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:06:41 EST
Hi all,

I have a quick question for any of you who are on CompuServe and have
subscribed to the FML via their CompuServe address (as opposed to getting
the FML from the Animals Forum Library).  I still use good ol' DOS and
CompuServe's DOS-CIM 2.2.3 to "fetch" my FMLs.  FML 1746 and FMLs 1752 thru
1758 have come to me as "improperly line terminated" files.  By this I mean
that usually DOS text files are line terminated by a Carriage Return and a
Line Feed character.  UNIX text files usually only have a Line Feed
character.  The above mentioned FMLs came looking like UNIX text files not
DOS text files.  Nothing on my end has changed (that I know of).  Also when
I re-requested these files from the Listserver they came back as "normal"
DOS ASCII files i.e. with <CR> and <LF> terminating the lines as they had
prior to FML 1746.  I've already been in contact with BIG about this and so
far we can't figure it out.  So if any other CompuServer's are having the
same problem let me know, AND if any other CompuServer's are getting their
FMLs okay let me know what software you are using.  NOTE: It's not always
obvious: if I view an affected FML with the Norton Commander Viewer the
files "look" fine, but if you switch to a "hex view" you can see that only
the <LF> (0A hex) is there; <CR> <LF> would be 0D 0A in hex.

-- Tim

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/tcm_watson

[Moderator's note: The problem is not limited to DOS CIM and does seem very
sporadic.  Perhaps if other people are having problems we can find a pattern
and report it to CompuServe... though in my experience it takes em a long
time to admit there's a problem.  BIG]