Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 15:57:29 -0400
ATTENTION!!!! WARNING!!!!! BEWARE!!!! DANGER!!!!

There is a DISTEMPER epidemic going on in Northern CA.  It  is not restricted
to ferrets however many ferrets have already had to be put down.  It was sent
to Utah, because a confiscated animal was sent there.  It is IMPERATIVE that
everyone (not just Californians) but everyone make sure their animals are
current (not expired by 1-2 months) their animals vaccinations.  To date 9
ferrets have had to be put down with more expected to follow.  8 of the 9 had
no vaccination history as they were rescues and the 1 remaining animal had an
expired shot by 2 months.  DO NOT WAIT!  See your vet immediately.
If you don't have a vet, contact me and I will do my best to get one to you
from Pam Grant's list.  If you are in CA it is NOT illegal to treat your
animals..... the vet does NOT have to report you...... get those shots.  If
you are unable because of your location to get the shots (no vet available
because of your rural location) let me know, I'll see what we can work out
for you.
Your animal's lives are in danger.  This is not a joke or a scare tactic this
is real.  Some of our rescue centers are under a minimum of a 3 week
quarantine with the infected ones under a 5 week quarantine after the death
of the last animal.  All new incomming animals are being vaccinated
regardless of the history immediately.  All animals that get distemper must
be put down, according to our vets, because if they survive they become what
is known as an active carrier and therefor so does the owner.  Distemper is
air borne and can be carried on your clothing or shoes from you walking
through an area that a sick animal has passed through in the last 48 hours.
I repeat..... GET THOSE SHOTS TODAY!!!!!
CDFA1