From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 03:15:42 -0400
To STAC and Matt and the traveling ferret gang:
STAC asked:
>What I need to know is if I will have any problems taking them thru any
>certain states along the eastern seaboard.  My boss (I work at a pet store)
>say that North and South Carolina might give me trouble.

Your boss is obviously uninformed and probably harbors some secret bigotry
or animosity against the Carolinas.  As a long-term resident of South
Carolina, I can assure you that you will encounter no difficulties in our
state.  Ferrets are legal to own here and are usually greeted with cries of
glee and delight.  In fact, I should warn you and the ferrets that you might
be in danger of being trampled in a stampede of enthusiastic well-wishers.
While I have very few fond memories of North Carolina and on an off day
would gleefully spread nasty stories about the horrendous treatment of
"foreigners" and ferrets from above the Mason-Dixon Line, I won't today.  As
far as ferrets are concerned, the folks in North Carolina are almost (but
not quite) as friendly as those in their sister state.

Whenever possible when stopping for meals, get as far off I-95 as you can.
Look for restaurants with lots of South Carolina plates on the cars in the
parking lot.  The restaurant staff will greet you with genuine Southern
Charm.  The restaurants along I-95 usually have staff worn to a frazzle with
irate and harried vacationers either beginning or ending their vacations.
Besides, most of the restaurants along I-95 have higher prices for their
meals.

As for your boss, tell him that at least one South Carolina ferret owner
considers him a mush-mouthed, ill-informed goof.  Have a safe and happy trip
rip through our state (but watch your wallets in North Carolina).

Scott and the Mustilid Mob (Ferrets and skunks)