From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:55:54 -0400
I am posting anonymously to avoid any potential finger pointing and
potential micro-analysis of our problem.

Here's the situation: We are a 501) charity.  We operate as a rescue of
sorts but not a shelter.  What is happening is that members of our club
are rescuing and fostering ferrets as well as arranging for adoption.
They collect the adoption fees from the adopters which are usually checks
made out to the club.  The members are footing the cost for vet bills and
adv test kits.  How do we reimburse them?  We don't want to have a bunch
of checks written from the club bank account to individuals.

Our initial thoughts were to write checks to the member vets as we do for
shelters that we support and/or to establish a petty cash fund to pay
these expenses.  In addition to making sure that the members that want to
be reimbursed get reimbursed, we also want a way that those that are just
'donating' the money can show that this is a legit charitable donation -
the IRS seems to prefer cancelled checks...

How do those of you that run clubs and shelters do this?

[KC]