From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:31:22 -0700
Risa,

of my personal ferrets experience from mild to severe reactions to their
FervacD CDV vaccinations.  One reacted mildly to both her CDV and Rabies
that year.

If people are interested, I can provide vaccination dates, lot numbers,
ages of the ferrets at the time of the reaction, and symptoms seen, and
date deceased.

Two of them passed before their 4th birthdays, one from a bleeding
disorder, and the other from lung problems complicated by ADV.  The other
two passed at the ages of 5.5; one from lymphoma and his cagemate from
hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.  Three of the 4 passed within hours to a
month following a surgery.  All passed within a calendar year of each
other.  (Taz, my ADV+ did not have surgery)

Briefly, of my 4 ferrets that reacted, all were pretreated with Benedryl,
all were fairly young, and all passed away 23-25 months after their
reaction, of differing causes.

Personally, I do suspect a reaction shortens the life of the ferret.
HOWEVER, I still vaccinate annually, or close to it, but use Purevax
or GalaxyD in hopes of reducing reactions in the future.

I do have to wonder, if their health problems developed due to the
reactions, OR did they reacted to the vaccination because there was
already an underlying health issue?

I would be interested in hearing if any others have had similar
experiences.

Julie

=====
Julie Fossa   (419) 225-8158 or 225-8383
West Central Ohio Ferret Shelter

"Just A Place To Hang Your Hammock
 While You're Looking for A Home!"