From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:24:29 -0600
SYRINGES:

I keep a variety of syringes at hand to help care for sick ferrets.
Syringes--without the needle--are useful to administer liquid medicines,
Petromalt, Nutrical and vitamins.  They are also useful for many other
purposes.  A syringe full of petroleum jelly is great for covering the
nose of a fear biter to encourage them to let go.  One filled with corn
syrup is useful for ferrets with insulinoma (you have to keep it capped
so the syrup doesn't leak out).  A 1-cc syringe loaded with eye or ear
ointment is fantastic.  I keep one filled with baby chicken food for
instant treats (stored in the 'fridge).  I couldn't function without my
syringes filled with bag balm and K-Y!  I wouldn't suggest using syringes
for antibiotics UNLESS you had an area to store them in darkness because
many of them are sensitive to light, but you can cover them with aluminum
foil for some protection.

There are two basic types of syringes, those designed to hold needles,
and those designed to be shoved into some sort of receptacle.  The
first type has a short tip or hub, the other has a longer tapered end.
Both are useful, but I find the ones with the long tapered ends most
practical.  The tapered syringes are usually larger than the needle
syringes, making them better for stuff like petroleum jelly and baby
food, while the needle syringes are smaller and better suited for
applying ear or eye ointments or oral medicines.

It is extremely important to label the syringe so you know what it
contains, and record the date you filled the syringe (some stuff has a
limited shelf life).  Read the storage instructions for each substance
and store it properly.  Finally, when you have finished with the syringe,
just take it apart and run it through your dishwasher and it can be
reused like magic.

MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT:

Other pieces of equipment that is useful around a hospital cage are
humidifiers (in winter) and dehumidifiers (in summer), and a small
hand-held vacuum to clean up litter and food spills.  Other items
with value includes tweezers, fine and blunt pointed scissors, a few
disposable razors, q-tips, tick removers, small tubes or syringes of
Vaseline, antibiotics, ear, and eye ointments, nail clippers, baby wipes,
baby lotion, baby shampoo, cloth tape, acne pads for tail blackheads,
gauze, a small container of olive oil, a small cake of soap or baby
powder (useful to stop minor bleeding from nails clipped to the quick),
flea comb, and oral hygiene materials.  Disposable pads (chucks) make
great working surfaces, and can be disposed of after working on a
contagious ferret.  A baby food bottle or syringe containing honey or
corn syrup is useful for ferrets with a history of low blood sugar.
Peroxide is a great local disinfectant, but it should be used sparingly.
A bamboo chopstick is useful to place between the teeth of a convulsing
ferret, assuming it can be safely inserted.  A tube of lip balm can be
used to treat cracked foot or nose pads, although I personally prefer
bag balm.

You will naturally add more items to this list, but this will get you
going.  You might also want to add a tube of Neosporin ointment and a
few Band-Aids in case you get a bite from a frightened, agonized or
convulsing ferret.

Bob C