From:
Diane Kolomijez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 04:23:53 -0700
Dawn...This may help with the cost on your food budget.

I make a duck soup recipe for all 8 of my ferrets.  All of them get soup
at least twice daily and two very old lady fuzzies get the soup 3 or 4
times daily.

I make a large batch of soup which I freeze in ice cube trays.  Once
frozen, I remove them from the trays & place in freezer bags & remove
only the cubes I need for each feeding.  My recipe lasts about 3-4 weeks
and I'll be happy to share it with you.  Keep in mind, the measurements
are approximates.  You can adjust to your needs.

Ferret & kitten kibble - about 6-7 cups
Boiled water
One can low sodium beef broth - optional
6 jars Chicken & Gravy or turkey & Gravy Baby Food (3 each)
2-3 jars Chicken Rice Baby Food - optional
Squirt of Ferretone

Soak kibble in boiled water & (broth - optional) until very soft & mushy.
Add all jars of baby food, mixing well after each jar addition
Add Ferretone
Mix well

Place small amts. in blender & blend until smooth & creamy (no lumps)
like a milkshake.  Add water as needed to make blending easier.

Pour into ice cube trays and plastic containers.  Freeze for at least 24
hours.

Remove soup cubes from trays & place into plastic freezer bags & keep
frozen in freezer.  Remove only what you need for each duck soup
feeding & microwave until warm.  You can also add more water as needed
when warming up.

This recipe lasts about 3-4 weeks for me with 8 ferrets.  Of course, you
can put more baby food into the recipe if you would like your ferrets to
have more baby food in their diet.  All of my ferrets love the soup.
Hope this helps a little bit with your baby food budget.  Good luck.

Diane & The Boops and Golden Girls