From:
David Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 01:12:10 -0500
Well the new fuzzie, Ash, is doing wonderfully.  I'm afraid I cannot say
as much for my two girls though.  Rune had to go to the vet on Saturday
afternoon because her energy level was suddenly way down and she was
looking thin and was a little dehydrated.  She's been on hand feeding
since, some nutrical, pedialyte for her dehydration, etc.  She's a little
more energetic but still not interested in food.  The cause of this is
unknown.  The vet took xrays just to make sure nothing was amiss, and
everything looked a-ok.  The only physical symptom was that Run's _lips_
are swollen and a little bloody.  I have NO clue what could do this but
some sort of toxin she had ingested but she has not been near anything as
there is nothing in my room to harm a ferret.  I've never even HEARD of a
ferret having this problem.  But she is off auto-watering and eating.
It's very very odd.  She should still be able to drink from her water
bowll but she isnt.

Trill is also looking a bit thinner.  She _has_ been drinking though and
as far as I can tell eating about the same amount as well.  Now... the
xray for Rune showed nothing at all.  What the heck is going on here?
Ash, the new fuzzie, is a-ok.  Been in the house about two weeks, in the
ferrets food and water etc... and in a separate cage for a week while they
acclimated some.  Trill and Ash have been in the same cage about a week
and Rune has been introduced more slowly cos she is a smaller girl than
Trill who can easily handle herself.

I also just put Trill together with Rune again cos they have been together
for a few years now and they almost took each other's heads off despite
Rune not having a lot of energy right now.  I am extremely confused by all
this.  I've had ferrets for four years and never heard of nor seen
anything quite like it.  I've had plenty of introduction situations but
his one is beyond me.

Thanks in advance,
Dave,
Ash "Woohoo! a Cat to play with!"
Rune "Dont feel good... but that bubble gum pedialyte sure is yummy"
Trill "Yawn"
Azrael "Oh no... not another one!"