From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:43:59 -0700
First of all, Thanks Bill for working so hard on putting all this together
and keeping it going and most of all, putting up with all the attitudes we
sometimes generate here on the FML.  And I hope I'm not treading on your
turf Bill, but I have noticed a whole lot of new folks on the FML lately
so I would like to go over some old info that might help them out and also
welcome them to this forum.

WELCOME to all those new smiling faces and fuzzy owners to the FML.  There
is lots to learn here from some really nice people who have been owned by
furrkids for a long time and they have a wealth of info to pass on.  There
are also some who will try to draw you into flame wars... Just smile when
that happens and it Will go away.  My opinions are just that, my opinions
and although shared by many others, not everyone will agree with me.
That's ok as that's their right in this great country(USA) and Sometimes
it's good for some people to disagree with me as it brings me back to
reality once in awhile(bummer).

I feel the best food to feed your fuzzies is Totally Ferret hands down.
It is sold by Petco's and is readily available at The Ferret Store on the
internet.(here we go again).  It has caused such dramatic changes for the
good in the shelter we (my mife Gloria and I) run that I can only say good
thing about it and the folks at Performance Foods, who manufacture and
distribute it worldwide.  They even sell it in Japan and the bags are
written in Japanese. (no kidding)

You can find out about ferret friendly vets from somebody right here.
Just ask someone.

I always recommend a couple things to my adoptive families.  One,
frequently scruff your ferret by the loose skin on the neck and give them
some ferretone or a treat and some kisses.  Watch your face around new
ferrets or ferrets that you don't know.  Many ferrets have been abused and
have been yelled at by buttheads and would just as soon bite a face that
look at it.It has nothing to do with how good looking or not you are.LOL
This conditions your ferrets to not panic when you need to scruff them for
things like nails, meds, shots etc.  Eventually, if you have been a really
exceptional ferret parent, you may not have too scruff them at all as I
have seen many a ferret that would hold still for anything.  But usually
it's a wrestling match with meds aand such.

Second, spend time with them.  They are like children in many ways and they
DEPEND on you for everything in their lives.  SHARE your life with them and
don't OWN them.  They will give you unconditional love until death.  Take
them places and care for them as you would a child and you will never
regret bringing them into your life.

Hugs to all and stay tuned to the next post by me.
Ferretguy