From:
Crystal Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:44:59 -0700
About a month ago I wrote concerning a growth I had discovered on my
six-year old, ziggy.  I took ziggy to the vet who confirmed that it is
a skin tumor.  I was told to watch it for any changes.  However, at the
same visit the vet told me ziggy's "adrenal glands feel large."  (I
arrived with one concern and left with another) He said to keep an eye
out for additional hair loss (His tail is already close to bald, which
we previously thought was acne).

Since then I've spoken to a couple other ferret owners and have done some
reading online.  I've concluded that I should take him back in and make a
decision as to how he's going to be treated.  I am hesitant to have him
operated on because he is six years old and I'm afraid that I'll lose him.
A couple years ago he was diagnosed with ECE and I nearly lost him then.
He was so weak and sick.  I don't want to put him through that kind of
stress again.  I know that our other option is to put him on Lupron.  I am
inclined to go this route, but I have read that surgery should be one's
first option and that chances are good the ferret will come out healthy.

I am sure that others have been in a similar situation and I would love to
hear what your deciding factors were when deciding how to approach adrenal
disease.  Also, does any one know at what age surgery can be a health
hazard?

Thank you in advance.
Crystal
ziggy & Baby