From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:52:49 -0400
Hello Fellow FML'ers,

Here comes Hurricane Gustav and although we do not know where it will
come ashore or at which category, we are gearing up in case it's bad.
There have been news reports that Louisiana (New Orleans in particular)
is considering mandatory evacuations. Renee Downs is in Louisiana and
is keeping us posted. It's hard to know where we're needed when we have
no idea where Gustav will come ashore.

Should Gustav come ashore as a category 3 or higher, we can expect that
people and their pets will need assistance. Of course that includes
ferrets, so we've been in touch with and have volunteers within the
large rescue groups, so they know we are ready and waiting to help any
ferrets in need.

In an effort to alleviate folks bombarding the FML and other forums
with questions about how they can help, we have teamed up with the
National Ferret Rescue site to give everyone ONE place to go for
information on how they can help and what's needed. The McKay rescue
taught us many important lessons - one of them is that information must
be funneled through one place to avoid confusion and unnecessary and
unproductive repetition.

Here's the NFR website:
http://nationalferretrescue.org/

We will begin posting on NFR as soon as we know more about Gustav or
have specific needs.

If you know of a ferret shelter or ferret owner in an afflicted area
that needs assistance, please tell them to go to the F.E.R.R.E.T site
at: http://ferretemergency.org/

And contact us for help.

Lisa Oestereich,
Board Member