From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 20:04:34 EDT
(Part 3)
Another interesting behavioral similarity is that, like domestics, BFF's
will also puff out the hair on their tail when sufficiently excited (the
technical term for this is "piloerection"- yes, it does sound obscene).  You
may possibly have heard that BFF's only do this in an aggressive context,
but this is not true--it is not such a behavior-specific response.  It is a
broader, more generalized response that occurs when they reach a certain
level of excitement or arousal.  For example, we have observed BFF's engaged
in non-aggressive play who had gotten piloerected tails during the
excitement of this activity.  If you would like to see an example of a BFF
with a puffed out tail, there is one that is currently readily available:
the recently released 32 cent BFF postage stamp.  If you look closely at the
BFF on the stamp, you will note that his tail is piloerected.  Apparently,
something associated with the photo session got the animal upset.

As you might expect, BFF's have very distinct individual personalities, just
as domectic ferrets do.  Because we made very detailed observations of them,
we came to know each BFF at our facility extremely well.  Besides its
research applications, we also used our detailed knowledge of the behavior
and personality of each individual as a valuable tool in helping us to
monitor their health and well-being.  It would simply be too great a task to
relate the details and intricacies of the individual behaviors and
personalities here.  What we can say is that their individuality made them
even more interesting to study; that they are a joy to work with; and that
we never met a BFF we didn't like.

One other similar behavioral trait we'd like to point out, is that BFF's
also do the ferret "dance." They may do it during play (both social and
solitary), aggressive or confrontational encounters, or as a component of
certain displays.  In a few instances in which no context or motive was
readily apparent, they seemed to dance just out of sheer exuberance.  If you
think a dancing domestic ferret is a joy to watch, you can imagine how much
more so a dancing BFF is, with its greater quickness, speed, jumping
ability, and agility.  It is indeed a magical sight to behold!

This has hardly been an exhaustive discussion of the comparative behavior of
these two species, but we hope that the sampling we presented has helped add
to your appreciation of your pet ferrets and the BFF.  Despite all those
years of domestication, your carpet sharks still retain vestiges of behavior
that reflect their relatedness to BFF's, Siberian polecats, and other wild
mustelids.  We hope that now, when you hear your ferret excitedly dooking,
or see it happily dancing about, it will remind you of their beautiful,
endearing North American cousin who, through no fault of its own, is
currently locked in a desperate struggle for its very existence.

Andy Abate & Carolyn Kinsey
Society for the Protection and Conservation of the Black-footed Ferret