From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 12:14:00 CST
Hi All - On ear cleaning -
Currently I'm housing 40 of these adorable little creatures which
breaks down to 80 littl ears to clean and on top of that someone
(the last group that came in Dec) brought along that pesty little
parasite - earmites so we are not only cleaning but medicating all those
little ears.  Some of the ferrets that came in had spent the majority
of their time (months at a time) caged and so they are extremely shy
which makes any type of "new thing" (ear cleaning) tricky.  Here's
what I've found that works well for us.
Give a couple drops of linatone or ferretone.
Scruff ferret by back of neck, feet barely touching counter (or for
those that struggle more, feet barely above counter)
Gently use dry swab first to get them use to the new feeling
Then dip swab in solution and clean the ear and dry it
If the ferret struggles - give another drop of linatone/ferretone

Because I am the only human in the house, normally this is all done by
me but for the more fussy ferrets I have a friend hold the linatone
bottle up to their little mouths while I scruff and clean - they lick
the top thinking they are actually getting something!  After the cleaning
they are given another drop of linatone and lots of hugs and kisses.  I
dilute the linatone 1/2 and 1/2 with Canola oil so they don't get all that
much straight linatone.  Hope this helps.

Oh - thanks to those who mentioned the BFF stamp.  I'll have to see if I
can find one.  Condolences to those who have lost a beloved family member.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugs to all.  tle