From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:50:01 -0500
Dear Demilia:

>I volunteer at a shelter, what precautions should I take so that I do
>not spread disease to my ferrets, or from my ferrets to the shelter.

First of all, the best way to prevent spreading disease from your ferrets
is to know if any disease is present in your ferrets.  Make sure that your
ferrets are up to date on their shots, as well as have them screened for
ADV.  Keep close tabs on your own ferrets and identify any potential signs
of infection quickly - be on good terms with your vet.

Preventing transmission from your shelter to your ferrets is generally a
function of careful attention to detail n terms of sanitation.  Showering
and complete clothing changes, including shoes, are paramount.

Six years ago, I worked in the lab with ECE-infected ferrets, and had eight
naive ferrets at home - including several geriatric animals.  After working
with these infected animals, I would shower out of the facility, sending
all of my scrubs to the laundry.  I put on a totally clean change of
clothes.  AFter driving home, I would strip in the garage, bag this second
change of clothes and shoes, shower again, and launder the second change as
well.  This would minimize the chances of bringing any small contamination
from the changing room at the facility or in my car into the house.  Now, I
was exposed to the ferret coronavirus on a daily basis, and I knew it was
there, so I was EXTRA careful.  You probably could get away with one shower
and change of clothes since I am assuming that this is a typical shelter
that is not currently experiencing an outbreak of anything.Viruses
generally don't survive laundering, but it probably would be a good isea
to have a couple of sets of old clothes set aside for your volunteer work
that you know not to wear around your own ferrets.

Also, no sharing of litters, food, food bowls, cages, or any objects
between the facilities, period.  That way you don't have to worry about
disinfection.

It can be done, and fairly easily.  Just make sure that you have a shower
and change of clothes before handling any ferrets at either facilities.  If
you start seeing diarrhea at either place, then you probably should either
discontinue volunteering for a while, or redouble your current procedures.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams,dVM