From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:09:20 -0600
While the post about ferrets being "hypo-allergenic" has some VERY good
and accurate advice, it is misleading and unfortunately flat out wrong to
say or imply that people are not allergic to ferrets.  Some are, and as
ferrets become more popular and a growing number of people are exposed to
them a growing number of people ARE developing allergies to FERRETS.  Not
the bedding or dust, but to the ferrets themselves.

I am one of these people.  I have suffered with allergies for most of my
life, I know how to figure out what is causing a problem.  Heck, I even
figured out that one of my ferrets was having an allergic reaction that
was acting just like adrenal...to the type of wood pellet I was using
for litter.  Ferret stuff is washed in the same detergents that I use.
The ferrets have their very own room, non- carpeted, yet I will welt up
seriously when I hold them and my normally non-existant asthma will start
in seriously.  I am, as other people are, allergic to the *ferrets*.

BUT...this does NOT mean that I, or anyone else has to get rid of them.
I have my allergy treated with desinsitization drops just like I have
the rest of my allergies treated.  It has to be custom made, and is not
"approved" becuase it isn't a standard prep, but it has made the
difference between my being able to keep them and not.  (Sorry, but if I
CANNOT care for an animal becuase being around it puts my LIFE in
jeapordy, it is irresponsible for me to keep it locked away without
contact or interaction, just because some people think it irresponsible
for me to find it a home where exposure to it won't KILL me.)

Many allergists don't even know that there is a test to be sure that the
person is allergic to ferrets, but there is one.  Might have to search
around a bit for a lab that does it.  It's a blood test.  There is no
arguing with it.  If someone is allergic, yes, the first thing an
allergist will say is "get rid of it".  But the custom treatment works
for me, and it could work for others.  It involves sending a baggie of
ferret hair once or twice a year to my allergist who forwards it to the
lab where they make it.  I take drops under my tongue, not traumatic at
all, even kids can handle it.

Check into everything else first.  Be sure that there isn't another
source...or you aren't making things worse by doing things like washing
your ferret too often, using masking sprays on it that may be your
problem, etc.  And yes, "Allergy" is a very common and easy thing for
people who don't like something to claim.

Fewer people are allergic to ferrets than are to cats and dogs.  That
does not mean that people are not, or cannot develop, allergies to
ferrets.  I had ferrets several years before I had any problem.
Allergies take exposure.  Sometimes not much, but problems can develop
over time.  DO NOT make the claim that people are not allergic to
ferrets.  This only contributes to problem impulse buying because someone
has heard this somewhere thinks "great!" and doesn't do their research.
People are LESS likely to be allergic to ferrets, yes, but they are not
"hypo-allergenic".

Sue M.