From:
Bill Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1992 21:53:57 -0400
I would like some advice on ferret-dog interaction.  We have two ferrets,
Ben and Jerry, and a 40-pound dog named Lupi.  Lupi loves to play with the
ferrets, especially Jerry.  He tends to leave Ben alone because Ben hides
from him.  Jerry is much more feisty and will stand up to him, which he
seems to enjoy.  Lupi gets very excited and bites Jerry and tries to pick
her up.  He doesn't show any aggression when they are together; he usually
has that goofy dog-smile on his face.

There is one situation in which he does growl and snap at the ferrets:  when
we are all riding in the car and the ferrets are in their cage right next
to his bed.  If a ferret bites him through the cage, he will show his teeth
and try to bite.  Of course, the cage bars are in the way.

We never let the ferrets run loose unsupervised.  My husband is sure that
Lupi will not hurt the ferrets, but I'm not so certain.  Lupi is so much
bigger than them.  Is there any reason to worry that Lupi will hurt the
ferrets?

Clare Sebok