From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 02:26:29 -0500
Got lots of e-mails wondering if I dropped of the face of the earth.  Not if
it would make some of you happy.  Nope, just not much time at the present to
e-mail anyone.  The .edu at the end of my address indicates I use a
university server, and once all the incoming freshmen come in, it is next to
impossible to get logged on.  So I automatically upload/download mail in the
middle of the night to get around the problem.  So there will be a slight
(or moderate) delay in answering questions.

Q: Don't ferrets have induced ovulations?  How does that tie in with
prolonged estrous?

A: Move ova; I can address this issue.

Prolonged estrous (or oestrous) is simply being in heat a very long time.
Baasically, it means the animal is biologically ready for breeding.  It may
or may not have ovulated; usually not.  Induced ovulation is usually the
mechanically-induced release of eggs; normally during mating.  They are not
the same thing, although they might occur at near the same time.

Most animals (or all I know of) that have prolonged estrous also have
induced ovulations and extended mating.  This makes perfect sense because if
it takes time finding a mate so you have to have a prolonged estrous to make
sure you have time to reproduce, then you don't want to spoil the whole
thing with premature ovulation.  Better to wait until you know things are
right, and when is the right time?  Timing is everything.

Q: I hear one of your ferrets is sick. True?

A: Compared to me?

Yes, Simon (adopted from Troy Lynn) developed a bowel obstruction due to a
bacterial overgrowth, cause unknown.  The perforated portion of the bowel
was removed, and now everything's fine.  He is up and running, and is
gaining back some of his lost weight.  We have just moved him up from a/d
and turkey to crunched up IAMs. I was afraid we would lose the little
bugger, but he pulled through.  He even danced a little tonight.

On the watch-closely list is Buddy (adopted from Bobbi) who is developing
insuloma symptoms.  The poor guy is old, 8 years, suffers from arthritis,
but is very loving.  We are carefully plotting the next steps to take with
his illness, and as soon as the blood work, etc., are done, we will decide
on the course of action.  I tend to be conservative.

Q: I'm confused about anal sacs.  Is it for defense or scent marking?  Does
removing them decrease the smell associated with the ferret?

A: Depends on if you believe in sacking the quarterback.

The general carnivore pattern is that anal sacs are used to mark territory.
This pattern extends into the mustelid family.  Usually, the scent is
expressed at the same time the beastie is doing, well, something else, so
the "land mines" (or yard mines if domesticated) have an aroma specialized
to the individual beastie.  Tells all the other beasties who was there, and
who this land belongs too.

Because mustelids are (generally) so olfactory oriented, they have anal sacs
that put most other carnivores to shame.  They use them to mark trails--to
find their way back home--as well as territory.  Most mustelids can also
voluntarily express the contents of the anal sac, usually when excited or
scared.  Of course zorillas and skunks have evolved the defensive weapon
into an offensive one.

Urine marking is also common, but is generally linked to the reproductive
status of the animal, rather than to territory.  Animals in heat pee
everywhere, urine licking is common, and the odor is, well, think of a
rutting tomcat.  Peeeewwww!

As for the smell issue; the body smell of a ferret is due to two basic
factors (OK, there are probably more, but minor).  First, to the
reproductive status of the animal, and second, to the oily secretion that
protects the animal's fur.  Animals that have not been neutered are far more
musky than neutered ones, especially the males.  The oily secretions are
here to stay; the more you try to get rid of it, the more the oil glands are
stimulated to make the stuff.  As for the anal scent?  It's temporary, and
the removal of the sacs does not influence the major two reasons ferrets
smell.

I do not recommend the removal of the sacs unless there is a compelling
reason, such as chronic inflamation, or permanent inability to keep the
stuff in.  Problems associated with sac removal are the inabilty of ferrets
to find their way back to places, lose of a defense mechanism in case of cat
or dog attack, and various anal problems.  However, realistically, once the
procedure is done, the feces have less smell, and the ferret can not make a
pest of itself.  I personally need more than the last two benefits to offset
the prior problems.

Mo' Bob and the 19 Furry Snakes.