From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 02:07:13 -0500
>Moderator's note: The same sad and pitiful people who donated and
>volunteered, perhaps? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but
>insulting the readers on the FML is not productive, nor accurate.

WHAT? Ok, if you read alot of the "good" posts, people are really tired
of the slamming. As soon as one lynching is done, we get about a week
in between where there are informative and funny posts, and then low
and behold, the lynching starts again with someone else.

Lori has taken on a HUGE burden created by one man in the ferret
community. To get in 10 ferrets at a shot is overwhelming for a
shelter, she took in 500 ferrets (or somewhere in that neighborhood).
To ask her to be accountable, to post numbers, to send out thank you
cards or letters of receipt for donations at this time is asking WAY to
much. She probably can bearly keep her head above the litter pans at
this time. She has to go through applications, get transports set up
etc, feed, water, get shots, go to vet appointments etc. When you give
a donation, it is a donation. People seem to expect ALOT when they
give. You give because you want to give and it makes you feel good in
your heart. You hope that the donation is used correctly. That is why
you check out a rescue or any place you are donating to first. You
don't give to get recognition. Now I am sure in time, when the storm
settles, Lori will thank everyone. She is a good person. There is only
24 hours in a day, and I am sure all her waking hours are spent dealing
with this mess. Bottom line is, that it is FACT she took in all these
ferrets...right? Ferrets cost money...right? So the money has to come
from some place to fund this HUGE undertaking. Sometimes, a little
common sense and thinking things out has to come into play.

When I was talking about the sad and pitiful people, BIG, I was NOT
talking about the people who volunteer. Those are the people who
REALIZE what goes into a rescue of this magnitude and realizes that it
takes a HUGE amount of money, supplies and time to do something like
that. While donations are good initially, they do tail off, leaving the
shelter still way in the hole. I was speaking to the people on the FML
who are so quick to judge, want accountability for everything, and time
and time again, think that rescue organizations are in business, making
money. A rescue is not a money making adventure. Much of the rescue
person's own personal money is used to fund the shelter, because when
the bills need to get paid, and there are no shelter funds, the person
on the bill, must pay. But that seems to be an expected thing from alot
of people and that is wrong. There needs to be more fundraising in the
ferret community, more research into the issues which plague ferrets
and more of an united front. And a lot less fighting and slamming.

>MW, I don't recall a mention of you being at Lori's, now that I think
>about it. (I can add that to the SLAM calendar.) BIG]

And while I did not go to Ohio to help with this rescue (as for I have
a rescue here at home to tend to), I have helped 100's of ferrets find
new homes and continue to do so. So YES, BIG, I do MY part in the
ferret community. 1000's of dollars out of my pocket has gone into
society's dumped ferrets. And I will be happy to be in the SLAM
calendar.........because I do a wonderful job at rescue! Sign me up!
I want August!

(MW)