From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:46:35 -0500
As I opened up the weekly People magazine (I always start from the back) I
saw a ferret (PG 159)!  If you look really closely you can see the ferret
in the arms of a little girl along with two other kids with a hedghog & a
rat (not a good combo with a ferret!).  It was in an article on a woman
that takes in stays, give aways, injured animals & pets & then adopts them
out.  It is really neat as she has a program where kids can "check out" her
animals.  They come over & play with them, clean cages, etc.  so they get
to see what having the pet would be like.  She also makes them sniff an
amonia soaked rag to give them an idea of what dirty bedding smells like.
She "lends" the pet to the kids/people with a cage, bedding, etc & food for
$1.  I guess she makes then sign a waiver that if anything happens they pay
a $100 fee (ie, lost, vet emergancy, death).  It was interesting reading -
the woman is in CO.  Great to see a picture of a fuzzie in a national mag!

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"