From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:30:30 -0400
I have two elderly adrenal boys. Neither are good candidates for
surgery.

I've already written about Sam, who lost his hair. He was so frail, I
didn't have the heart to restrict him, so he is free roam. Sam's a
vegetarian at heart. He loves chewing on vegetables. Like Puma, his
reaction to being offered anything that looked like it might have been
alive was to wrinkle his nose, sneer slightly, look aside, then look at
me like I was trying to poison him. Even moistening his kibble with
chicken broth doesn't fool him into trying it. I got him to try a taste
when I also added ferretone, but then he shook his head, backed off,
and gave me another of those looks. So I decided to let him have what
he wanted, which was dried cranberries, dried blueberries, a cheerio
now and again, and kibble from the cat bowl (which he likes better than
ferret kibble.)

In other words, I am a Bad Ferret Mom.

Despite this bad diet, Sam has regrown his hair, now goes exploring
every once in awhile, and disciplines the girls when their play gets
too insistent. He always was the senior ferret. He doesn't waste energy
with scruffing or anything like that; he manages with a look (but why
should I be surprised? It worked on me.)

I've been told that hair regrowth happens sometimes, and is no
indication that he's really any better . So I don't take it as that,
but I am contented that Sam seems to be enjoying life. Every extra day
with him is a gift.

Frankie didn't lose his hair, but became aggressive and developed an
enlarged prostate. After requiring catheterization, he went on lupron.
He recovered slowly, and never got back to his old self. Finally he
seemed to lose all interest, and refused to eat. I did not force him to
eat, since in my experience fasting is a valid form of medical
treatment, and one that animals often turn to instinctively. I just
made sure he was still drinking water. I did offer him everything --
ferretone, warmed soup, moistened kibble, baby food, and the yoghurt he
had always preferred as a snack. Finally, after three days, he ate the
yoghurt. And some ferretone, but he obviously preferred the yoghurt.
And he became totally free roam like his buddy Sam.

Now, a month or so later, he is active and playful. Yoghurt is still
his mainstay, supplemented with cheerios and (occasionally) ferret
kibble. He will even eat the occasional cranberry.

I didn't expect either of these two boys to live this long. I actually
have a sneaking suspicion that the cranberries may have something in
them that is helping them, since cranberries are often prescibed to
help keep the urinary tract clear in humans, are are in some herbal
prostate care compounds. In any case, I don't want to force feed them.
I continue to offer them food which is good for them, and every once in
awhile they will taste it.

I certainly don't advocate a diet of cranberries, yoghurt, and
cheerios. If I could get them to eat better food, I would. But long
term effects are not really anything I'm concerned about. This diet
makes these old guys happy. And keeps them functioning on a healthy
level, even though I know those adrenal tumors are still there.

In the meantime, I will remain their indulgently Bad Ferret Mom.

The girls, on the other hand, are not so indulged. Blatant favoritism,
they say.

Claire