From:
christine newkirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:26:03 -0700
Greetings to my fellow ferret slaves,

Just thought I would drop my $2.02 in for a bit (more cents because it's
so long!): No one likes people who "flame" other people, or even flame
in disguise (that's when you say "this is not a flame" and then say "but
your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries")  But we
can't take any of this too seriously.  About two years ago, when I had
just started back to school, I made the mistake of posting an inquiry of
what someone would do who wanted to get into Vet school.  Now, I was 24
or 25, and finishing my BA a little late, but I didn't think this would
hurt anything TOO much; I have always made above average grades and have
never had any problems with academic pursuits I was really set on.  But I
got this reply speculating about my personal life, telling me I probably
never followed through on anything and that I should "really reconsider
this" before trying to do it, because this person was "concerned" for me.
HA!  They were so concerned they had to tell me I was a loser who never
followed through on things?  Sure.  They weren't even a vet and they were
telling me how hard it was to become one.  That was the only reply I got.
I could have crawled into a hole and died.  I almost gave up the idea
completely.

Now, I imagine that if I had listened to that person (whose name,
unfortunately, I have forgotten) I would not be receiving the news from
my advisor that I am currently competitive for several Veternary programs
in the U.S., including LSU Vet, which I am told is not easy to get into.
Have that with your coffee, Mr. or Ms. nonbeliever.  Competitive means
that the programs will WANT to have me in them.  What have YOU been doing
in the past 2 years?  :)

Honestly I think most of these people who feel the need to criticize us
"for our own good" just have low self-esteem and are probably really
lonely.  I'm sure that without us to pick on, and without our angry
replies to their accusations in their inbox they would feel that they
were worthless.  So the next time someone flames you, criticizes your
lifestyle, or judges the way you care for you animals (and you have done
your homework and your animals are on a good diet have safe living
quarters and are supervised properly) just smile, and tell them you are
glad you could make the flamer feel better about him/herself.  A favorite
saying of my mother's was "If you take the high road, you can always
look down."  Not a very charitable reason for doing the "right" thing,
but definitely very satisfying.  Very satisfying indeed. ;P

On a lighter note, our FML bards are back, and I for one am glad to see
them!  Isn't it incredibly nice of these people to take their time --
which they could be using to take bubblebaths, or watch the Olympics, or
play with their own ferrets -- to try to entertain us and make us laugh
and forget our troubles for a while?  I know it isn't easy to come up
with a contiguous plot line for several days in a row and then have it
all come out as something recognizable in the end!!!  Three cheers for
the FML bards!  Three cheers for the return of the Oracle!  Hip Hip
Hurrah!  Hip Hip Hurrah!  Hip Hip Hurrah!

love to ALL of your ferrets and ALL of you, too!

Christine and Mab and Dustbin

=====

christine newkirk
My Ebay items