Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:19:18 EDT
>Also for anyone who is keeping track, I have now went thru 800+ Fervac
>Distemper vaccinations without a single bad reaction.  I had 1 ferret who
>got a bump on his neck that stayed for a week , but that is all.  I think
>my theory about using bottles of vaccine that have lost their vacumn may
>have some validity.

Hi Ron

I have vaccinated more than 350 ferrets and have witnessed 6 reactions,
and I have never had a diluent bottle that had lost its vacuum.  The reason
that I can be sure of this is that I use the vacuum to pull the diluent
into the syringe.  These reactions were in both shelter and personal
ferrets and ranged from minor vomiting and lethargy to severe bloody
diarrhea, shock and vomiting.  We do premedicate our ferrets with benadryl,
30 minutes prior to giving the shot.  I never vaccinate within 2 hours of
a vet clinic closing, and I have an 'emergency' vet located within two
blocks of my house.  In each case, the ferret is no longer vaccinated with
Fervac-D and are now being protected using Galaxy-D.  I don't think that
losing a vacuum is causing the reaction, but something contained within the
diluent or vaccine itself.  IMO, the next best hope we have is the vaccine
manufactured by Merial to be possibly tested and marketed for ferrets.

I hope that your streak of good luck continues with the vaccinations - I
can tell you from personal experience that they are very scary to witness.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854