From:
"Jill T. Endicott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 13:44:43 EDT
Hi all,
Thought I'd see if the vast knowledge of the list can help me.

I adopted a 6 yr. & 8 yr. old this last summer.  They came to me w/ runny
stools (I had taken my 6 mo. w/ me when I went to see them).  They went to
the vet the next day to be checked and have shots, then came to my place.
Stools runny, I took them back to the their vet and had them checked, vet
felt stress.  Week later took them again and they put them on antibiotics
(these are ferret vets).  Then had a lethargic ferret, thin, etc.  Took
them to my vet, emergency (also a ferret vet) and put them on IV's, telling
me female might not make it.  She died 24 hr. later, felt she might have
had poison in system, but also showed levels of ECE.  Male took a lot of
hands on care, duck soup, etc.  He's fine (Cecil) and doing real well,
since levels showed ECE I'm guessing that the 6 month wait is standard and
wanted to ask if you all felt that is so.

My baby (Odin-now 11 mos.) has never been sick, kept separated from the
others, but then again they're in the same house.  After Cecil regrouped
I put them together and they've bonded wonderfully and no one is sick.
So..........

Questions are: Could Odin be a carrier of ECE and if so is there a test to
find out?

Should Cecil be kept away from other ferrets (including me staying away)
for at least six months?

Reasons: I of course have a desire for a female, am leery of ferrets
looking for a home-but...., want to adopt from a shelter, and other such
reasons :o)  Just plain love these little pets, they're GREAT stress
relievers!

Sure would appreciate everyone's input.
Thanks
Jill "Odin" & "Cecil"