From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:31:44 -0800
Dear FML Family:

In 2008, I was blessed with the opportunity to travel to Pittsburgh,
Pa. where Dr. Robert Wagner had agreed to allow three of my ferrets
to participate in the Deslorelin implant study through Peptech, Inc.
Including those three initial Des implants, we have again been blessed
with positive results from use of an additional ten.

I'm not sure whether Dr. Wagner or myself realized the ongoing
relationship that would develop from this agreement. Over the years I
have worked with many to get information to them about the implants,
how to purchase them and often working as a liaison with them and Dr.
Wagner to get his insight to possible problems. At the same time, I
faithfully relayed information to Doc sometimes as formal research
information and at other times as anecdotal.

Feeling a bit sentimental this past Christmas, I dropped a short e-mail
to my dear friend Jackie and Doc Wagner thanking them both for their
involvement in getting my kids into the program. The implants had
provided such quality lives for all my ferrets receiving them. The
reply that I received from Doc Wagner was: "If the ferret community
wants to thank me, get them to give me money for more research!" So,
began my involvement in helping even more ferrets to live healthier,
longer and fuller lives with their families. Little did I know I would
lose the last of the the three ferrets who took that special road trip
to Pittsburgh and adopted Jackie DeCarlo as a very special Auntie, just
days after this commitment.

Many of you know of Sharon Beardon and her work with the IFC and SOS.
Over the past year, I have gotten to know Sharon better working behind
the scenes to help shelters in trouble or need of guidance from SOS. It
made sense to me to drop Sharon a note and mention my new project. Talk
about contacting the right person at the right time. The perfect time
in fact!! The IFC was planning on supporting research for ferrets at
the Arizona Symposium.

I am pleased to say Sharon and I are thrilled to be working together to
collect funds from appreciative folks that have been helped not only by
the research of Doc Wagner, but so many of our great vets who have
chosen to examine and explore the diseases and causes that shorten our
ferrets' lives.

This year, the IFC will be giving money to both Doctor Robert Wagner
and Dr. Matti Kiupel. If you haven't decided what to do with that tax
return money this year, I have a suggestion. Donate some of it to Doc
Wagner and some of it to Doc Kiupel by writing a check and designating
it to the vet of your choice or give some to both. The IFC will be
cutting a check for a given amount to each researcher and adding your
donations as specified, to each vet.

Sharon will be accepting the checks or money orders at her address (see
below) and sending receipts - this is a tax deductible donation. I am
waiting on a pay pal addy for the IFC, if that is your choice of
donation mode. I will be cross posting (you are welcome also to cross
post any of this information)