From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:49:25 -0800
This posting is for (all) the parents of a newborn child and who have the
sweetest ferrets:                          (Ref. G. & D. Kelley, et al.)

Ferrets NorthWest was called for advice by the father of a 2-day old child.
The father was referred to FNW by his local veterninarian after the father
related the events of that day to the vet.  This is the father's story and
my experience, first-hand.

The mother immediately after coming home from the hospital and into the
apartment with the 2-day old child, was set upon by one of two male ferrets,
a 4-year old neutered and descented sable.  A second ferret, a 5-year old
sable male, also neutered and descented, unlike his cage mate, showed no
discernable interest in the baby.

The 4-year old ferret attempted to climb the mother's legs to close to the
baby as it cried.  As it attempted to close, the mother, standing,
foot-thrust it aside repeatedly in an effort to prevent the ferret from
climbing and closing on the baby in her arms.

The mother pleaded with the father to take control of the ferret and get
him off her leg, which the father finally did, but only after the ferret
repeatedly bit the mother around her ankle a number of times.

The two ferrets were then secured in their separate room, away from the
mother and baby.  This was the situation when I visited the family the
next day.

Whilst I was there talking with the father in the ferrets' room, the younger
ferret came streaking out from underneath a sofa and made a dash toward the
closed door, immediately upon hearing the baby's cries in the other end of
the apartment.  The ferret dug furiously at the base of the closed door.  It
was obvious that this ferret was in a state of terrific turmoil.

The stimulus appeared auditory only, since the baby was out of sight and
presumably beyond the smell (olfactory) range of the ferret.

Both the father and I were astonished at the one ferret's behavior when the
ferret heard the baby crying.  The father stated his surprise at the ferret
acting completely out of character, since both ferrets had always before
been "just the two sweetest little guys you ever saw."

The consensus was that both ferrets had to go.  And they did, along with
over a couple of hundred dollars worth of ferret accessories and 33 separate
vinyl squeeky toys.

One week later, these two ferrets were adopted together from Ferrets
NorthWest into another couple's home, along with all the paperwork, the
accessories and the 33 separate vinyl squeeky toys.  The history of these
two ferrets was made known to their new owners, who presently are childless.

I shall make no comment of opinion concerning the potential for disaster in
any home wherein ferrets and human babies are cohabitant.  Assumedly, if you
can read you can reach your own logical conclusion.

It is noted here that the ferret reacted to the sound of the infant's cries
and only to that sound.  If you've ever heard a rabbit scream as it's being
torn apart, you have heard this particular 2-day old baby cry.  (As a
predator caller myself, a hobby I practice, you may call me at [206[
232-1228 and I will demonstrate to you over the phone such sounds I can
produce at will to call in the many wild predators of the Cascades.)

I turn over and over in my mind the word, "domesticated, domesticated,
domesticated, domsticated, domesticated, domesticated", and I wonder and
wonder and wonder.

I wonder how far down buried in the psyche of the "domesticated" house
ferret lies that instinct to "check-out" any sound that resembles the sound
made by its perceived prey.  Please note that I write, "check-out" rather
than the term, "attack." Herein lies a difference that few of us are capable
of seeing let alone understanding.

After reading Bob Church's discourse on the improbability of the
"domesticated" ferret to feralize (become feral) in Californica (or any
other place where ENVIRONMENT is ferret friendly) I can say I'm convinced
that Church's theory is just that: .  .  .  a theory of the erudite.  It's
not factual discourse of the known.  Could it be wishful thinking and
hoping?  Yes.

Edward Lipinski,      Der Frettchenlustbarkeitsfuerher,      who wishes
everybody,             ('cept babies)   .   .   .    Frettchenvergnuegen!
 [G.]  Ferret Satisfaction!

P.S.  Got wind of a ferret show scheduled for Saturday March 28th in the
Snoqualmie Room at the Seattle Center, hosted by Mrs. Sharon Bowman and
the League of Super (?) Ferrets.  Details available at [log in to unmask]
 I did not receive an invitation.  Hmmm; wonder why?