From:
Darren Carfano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:38:58 EDT
Jennifer,
Well don't give up hope because convincing your mom might not be the most
difficult thing you have to do.  I just recently did my own convincing.  My
parents got a dog for the family and I started to complain that whenever I
wanted a pet, they just ignored me.  But now that my younger sister got a
dog, I think I deserve a pet.  So I mentioned a ferret.  It took a while,
but they said yes.  (FINALLY!) BUUUUT...as soon as they said yes I started
to plan out what I was going to do.  You know what?  It takes 3 times as
much energy to finally convince yourself that it's right for you.  I'm 16
and to tell you the truth I don't have much of a social life , so I know I
WILL have enough time for the fuzzy(ies).  CAN YOU make the personal
committment.  If this ferret idea was yours, your mom will expect you to
take care of it.  How have you been taking care of the other pets you had
(cats, dogs, rabbits, and horses)?  You might find that taking care of a
ferret is all at the same time easier AND harder than all pets listed above?
Do you know about their diseases?  READ READ READ READ READ!  Only ONE FAQ
is NOT enough.  Read ten of them.  You learn something new each time.  READ
personal web pages.  IF you go www.ferretcentral.com, then I'm sure you'll
find some links at the bottom that will help you decide.  Show your mom that
you are willing to give the personal (and I DO MEAN PERSONAL) attention that
a ferret deserves.  Also, think LONG TERM!!  Again, I do not know your age,
but if you're gone in the next 3-4 years, will you be able to take it to
college with you?  I know that if I am unable my family will give it a
loving home and lots of attention.

So just READ and THINK, and if you decide for the best, you will be the
proud owner of a curious, mischievous, and loving ferret.

Darren