From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 10 May 1994 08:22:27 -0400
To Robert Boulis concerning Bandit:

<My carpet shark Bandit has a problem
<I need help with, I hope someone can help.

<Here are the symptoms:

<1) Frequent urination or attempts to urinate.

<2) Bandit drags/rubs his private parts over
objects, shoes, table legs, etc...

<These symptoms have been occuring for about six weeks or so. He seems happy and
<healthy other than the above mentioned. He has been to our Vet, but he did not
<know what was going on.

        Well, there may be a problem and there may not.  Similar behavior can
occur as a result of territoriality, iwth Bandit trying to mark his territroy.
This would be more likely if Bandit is intact.

        On the other hand, there may be a problem here, and it may be a serious
one.  The symptoms may arise from a urinary tract infection or irritation due to
stone formation.  In both of these cases, irritation of the bladder or urethra
could result in frequent attempts to urinate.  My suggestions would be a
urinarlysis, looking especially for the presence of blood in the urine, and a
complete blood count and chemistry panel to see if there is evidence of
infection or kidney problems.

        If your vet doesn't know what is going on, he should run these tests to
rule out a problem.  Male ferrets with urinary problems can get in trouble in a
hurry.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000