From:
SukieCrandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:16:23 -0500
Slow down folks.  In the first place the necropsy and pathology on the
final ferret (none on the others done) is NOT finished, yet.  In the
second place, the dose was not as unusual as stated.  See Russ' and my
quotes from Karen Purcell's book to see that it wasn't such as large an
amount as stated -- I suspect the third vet perhaps was just going from
size factors rather than from therapeutic measurements in use.  In the
third place, we don't know if the meds given could have caused ANY
problems, yet, alone or in combination, or in the doses given.

The deaths could have simply been from the disease involved, and the
logical course of action now is to find out what that was.  If it is
something that can stick around in the environment then Cindy may have to
take special precautions (like time with no ferrets, or special cleaning
measures, or both) before adding any fuzz-butts, so trying to get an
answer is important -- ESSENTIAL -- for any possible future ones.
(Necropsies often save lives by giving diagnoses; they are an integral
part of effective medical care.)

Let's not jump to conclusions; the data still needs to be gotten and then
the pathology and necropsy reports need to be transcribed and discussed.

You see, THIS is what Deborah Kemmerer meant by "vet bashing".  Some folks
just JUMPED TO CONCLUSIONS without having the needed information to reach
any viable conclusions.  We still do NOT know if the dosing vet actually
did do anything wrong, so can't treat that as a known factor.  So, please,
sit still till we have enough information rather than yelling "Sue!" and
other inflammatory words without enough data to have a foundation for such
statements.

If the pathology and necropsy, and the use materials for those meds show
that they were handled wrong, then Cindy can take it before the WY
Veterinary Review Board.  That has to be based upon FACTS, though, not
upon emotion.  We still don't know if the deaths were from the disease,
as is entirely possible, or if the disease was readily treatable, so we
NEED to know these things before drawing conclusions, then act in
accordance with the facts uncovered -- whatever those may be.

If nothing else at this point, perhaps the reactions get across what DK
was pointing out -- a real risk of making others way too uncomfortable
when folks jump to conclusions and bash.  Let's get the facts first,
please.