From:
Phyl Spy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:56:54 -0600
After somewhat getting back on my feet from losing Tyler on 11/8/03, I
was again faced with a seriously ill ferret.  My Duchess (first ferret
and gift from son) started to have bad poops.  I also noticed that she
was losing weight and grinding her teeth a lot.

Because the holiday week was approaching, I decided to have her checked
by the vet on Friday.  Well, the preliminary diagnosis was lymphoma.  I
couldn't believe it!!  The vet did a blood panel, x-ray and pathology
sample.  That was also the day that Duchess decided to stop eating
kibble.  So, I came home and started her on Duck Soup.  Friday night was
not too bad, Saturday was a little worse and by Sunday night I suspected
that her kidneys were starting to shut down.

My little Duchess passed away at 8:00am today.  I will forever miss
her cute face, with her little overbite, staring up at me asking for
a Cheerio.  She was a real lady and the epitome of "alpha" ferret.  She
was a petite little girl with a crooked tail (seems that it might have
been broken when she was a kit before I got her).  Duchess was the one to
determine which toys could stay in the toy box and which toys had to be
kept in the hidey hole.  Her favorite toy was a toilet bowl brush (not
used) that stayed in the bathroom for her to play with.  She was the one
who had to endure my lack of experience with handling and caring for a
ferret - baths once a week, ferret food recommended by pet store that
was far from superior, until I learned better.

Duchess was a very brave girl who fought death all the way, but the
cancer won.  However, now she no longer has any pain.

When I left work tonight, I looked up in the sky and saw one lone star.
I can only hope that it was Duchess.  I hope with all my heart that she
is playing with Tyler and that she knows how much I love her and how much
I miss her.

Duchess, my little girl, my muffin, my little noodle, I wish you peace.

Phyllis M. Spy
Massachusetts Ferret Friends, Inc.
A non-profit organization dedicated to education, outreach and shelter to
benefit the domestic ferret