From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:34:20 -0800
From:    "Mary-Michael Scanlon (Digital MLS+, ZK03-2/X44)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Ferret adoptability in the face of adrenal disease

First of all, "I DO NOT LIKE MARSHALL FARMS".  I really have no idea where
anybody has gotten the idea I am a zealous supporter of theirs.

>A mill is a mill is a mill.

And mills cut wood.  Please define ferret mill.  When I know exactly what
you are talking about I can discuss this.  I prefer to use words heavy with
meaning not clouded with emotional appeal that hides meaning.  Calling
Marshall farms a ferret mill is emotionally disturbing but not clear on
meaning.  MF has had veterinarians on staff.  This is different from puppy
mills.  MF researches the needs of ferrets more than any other group or
individual in the world.  While on their staff Dr. Judi Bell became the
foremost expert on the ferret digestive tract.  I don't think any puppy
mills have had veterinarians on staff much less allowed them to do research
that is significant.  So I dispute that MF is really a ferret mill in the
sense of a puppy mill.

But once we get past this symatic/rheotoric question we agree mostly.

I do not agree with the early altering of ferrets.  I have never disputed
that there does seem to be potential for problems from this practice.  I
agree.  Now what...

Well we have is a Catch-22 situation.  We don't like the practice of early
spay/neutering.  If we succeed in convincing MF, PV and the other large
ranches which sell to pet stores not to alter the ferrets then we have the
problem of the general public not getting their animals altered at the
proper time and we'll have jills dying from apastic anemia or we'll have an
over-population problem that will rival that of cats and dogs.  Part of the
problem with impulse purchasing of ferrets is that the new owners aren't
educated about the very animals they are purchasing.  Selling these owners
an unaltered animal will lead to a whole new set of problems.  We're all
trying to find solutions here to these problems.  It's going to be one of
those never ending stories.

>I'm willing to bet that MF could very quickly be convinced that it's
>cheaper for them to have you pay for the neuter and spay

I disagree here.  MF for example (according to Dr. Judi Bell) would NOT
descent their kits if the market didn't demand it.  Education is the key
here.  When we educate people to understanding that descenting is not needed
then MF will stop to save money.  The over-population problem looms up here.
We would prefer if kits sales were made illegal before 9, 10 or even 12
weeks in pet stores.  This would allow MF to push back the surgeries
somewhat.  They've been inching younger over the past couple years at the
same time people have been seeing what they believe is earlier adrenals but
remember Mo' Bobs comments about sandwiches.  There is enough for a
hypothesis but not for proof.  If the later early altering is less
problematic than the current earlier early altering (follow that?) then
maybe this will help.  Along with this though will be trying to convince the
pet stores that it is possible to sell the older kits.

>I've ruled out environment as the cause of their diseases.

Sorry but we can't.  What IS the best environment for ferrets?  We all think
we know but as we go to lengths to avoid ethoxyquin we assume that we know
things but on them "the jury is still out" as well.  We think Totally Ferret
is superior to all other kibbled foods but is it healthier than non-kibble
diets?  Should we be feeding our ferrets "feeder rats" like snake people do?
Would that reduce the cancers?  We don't know.  We'll name the new Hillyer
book on Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents as a primary source here.

>I have two other MF ferrets who are currently very fit and healthy, and
>one 4 month old currently unneutered male which I purchased from a breeder.
>The differences between this ferret and my others in terms of weight, muscle
>mass, energy level and overall size are very apparent and astounding.  I
>don't need a scientific study to tell me the difference early neutering
>makes.  I can see it very plainly.

Now you know WHY we always recommend waiting until at least 6 months of age
before altering.  Want even more differences?  Check out European ferrets
compared to American.  Even more astounding in the energy level and muscle
mass.  BUT the downside with the extra energy is more tendancy to play
harder.  That sometimes leads to nipping.  We don't recommend our Europeans
to people with small children for example.

>What I am afraid of is that through publication of these debates, we will
>succeed in driving people away from ferret ownership and, more importantly,
>from ferret adoption.

This happens.  We have had people call us wanting to give up their ferrets
because they didn't want to keep a Marshall Farms ferret because they read
they were bad.  1: People are told not to buy MF ferrets because they are
defective.  2: People are also told not to buy from breeders.  3: They are
told to adopt ferrets from shelters.  This brings us back to directive no.
1: not to buy MF ferrets since the majority of the ferrets in the shelters
are MF ferrets.

We fully agree that if MF is the problem than we should do something about
them.  All we are saying though is get the research started to find the
cause BEFORE we call for lynchings.  I still believe in that little bit of
American justice that says one is innocent until proven guilty.  But also
the bit about needing to be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  You are
pointing out one of the reasons I try to counter the "zealous" anti-MF folks
that are convinced that it is known to be the problem when it is only
suspected.

Now the tricky part.  Who's going to pay for the research?  Volunteers?

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]