From:
Brenda King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 01:19:14 EST
Hello fellow ferret lovers!!!  I have been receiving the ferret list for
only a few days now but I was hoping that someone could help us out.  We
now are proudly owned by 5 ferrets (the oldest arrived in July and we've
gotten one almost every moth since!!) we are still kind of new to them ...
but I believe we are doing quite well (as they are all pudgy little things
now).  My question is about our new addition to the family (and to properly
do him justice I feel I must tell his story) --- last week we brought home
a baby who we of course feel in love with instantly ... he was the runt and
separated from his brothers and sisters at the pet store so he could have
enough food to grow healthy and strong ~~~ he was the last of the litter to
go.  We really hadn't planned on getting any more (we have a human baby
arriving any day now) ... but his story was so sad we could not resist.
There was a couple in the store at the same time and the wife wanted a
ferret very badly ... the husband however HATES animals ... but he was
willing to give it a try to make her happy.  Or so she thought.  As soon as
she walked away to get the sales lady he said he was just going to wait
until she fell asleep before he let it go outside.  We knew right then and
there we would NOT let him go home with them ... luckily one of the
employees had also overheard and said that she was "sorry but he has
already been taken" (winking at us).  So that is how we came upon him.
However a day or two later we noticed that he was always squealing whenever
one of the others came up behind him and it was not until we squeaked the
ball next to his ear and he didn't even flinch that we realized our new
baby is deaf.  My question is how can we get him to come to us when he is
lost or hiding.  The other 4 are trained to come to a squeak ball ... but
obviously it has no effect on our little boy.  If anyone has any advice for
us and our new "special little friend" please let me know.  Another concern
though is that I believe he may also have very poor vision --- his eyes are
tinted a red sort of and sometimes he doesn't appear to see me.  Am I being
a paranoid mom or may he have a special vision problem also?  Thanks for
any advice you can offer.

Thanks Again!!!
Brenda, Princess, Cinnamon, Minnie, Bear and "the baby"
YOU CAN SEND REPLIES TO: