From:
April Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:24:01 -0400
I have to take a slight exception to Bob's comment about the ad lib diet
in ferrets:
>The bottom line is, not only is an ad lib diet NOT required for ferrets,
>but such a diet is actually detrimental to their health.

I agree that this MAY be true for some ferrets, but working in the vet
clinic here in MA, I have to say that obese ferrets are actually quite
rare, and most of our ferret patients are fed ad lib kibbled diets.  I
have had a total of seven ferrets, and NOT ONE has ever been obese or had
obesity-related problems.  This has been a much more common problem in
the cats we see, and we do recommend limiting food intake for indoor cats
as a result.  However, we have very rarely seen an obese ferret, and when
we have, there has invariably been some other underlying medical problem
at the root.

I am no expert, and Bob obviously has a lot more experience than I do
with a lot of ferrety things, but I do not feel the ad lib approach
to feeding ferrets guarantees ill health or obesity.  And as has been
pointed out, this has not been proven or disproved either way in any
formal study.

My two cents!

-April

"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman."
-Groundskeeper Willy, "The Simpsons"