Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 02:22:56 EDT
>Now what do you say to the regular vet about the other vet's comments?
>Do you let it go or speak up? That practice which I won't reveal at
>this time as not to give them a bad name has lost alot of business from
>us now and that is truely sad. They moved from a small office to a big
>hospital setting and now seem to have gotten too big for their own
>britches.

Hi Debbie ~

Wow this sounds like a lot of what we went through when we lost my
Calvin last December...frantic trips in the night down to Phoenix an
hour and a half away because our vet was out partying. I am taking
action. I am speaking out and filing a complaint with the AVMA (Am.
Vet. Med. Assn.). Plus I am starting a non-profit (after we get
settled) to lobby vet schools to really teach vet education, not just
the one hour elective many colleges offer. I'd probably tell the owner
of the clinic (in writing) of your dissatisfaction of their services.
Or, you might call the office and ask where the vet who refused
treatment got her diploma. Then write to her college and ask if they
even do ferret education. Also a quick check to see if she is licensed
won't hurt either. There is a lot more to our story, but you have the
idea. Of course if she is not trained in ferrets, she did you a service
not touching your little baby, but she could have referred you to
someone who was. And nowadays who would hire a non-ferret-trained vet?
I'm especially angry that a vet can hang a shingle saying "veternary
medicine" when they only treat cats and dogs? My solution: divide the
diplomas into dog/cat; and small animal; large animal. I mean what if
you pulled a Michael Jackson and had a pet money? Where would you take
a sick pet monkey lol? The classification of ferrets as "exotics"
scares many vets. Vet schools need to be held to a standard to treat
all pets, not just the most popular pets we saw up to the 1970s.

After all how can vet clinics change their practices on ferrets if we
don't tell them when we are upset? I know this is strong but having a
ferret in crisis at night or on weekends when there is not adequate
care is a really sad thing.

I hope your little one is doing much better, and you are too Debbie.

Warmly ~

Mary L. Conley, herbalist, N.D.
Conley Mountain Herbs
Teas,  tinctures, flower essences