From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:39:04 EST
There are couple of day-to-day ferret matters that I would like to address
and which may be of help to FMLers.  Here I go again, making vets mad, but
the way I see it, veterinary charges have gone through the roof.  I'm the
last one to let an animal suffer.  The animals always come first here, and
running a shelter often means we people do without, so the animals can have
what they need.  Yet, I had to let my very sick cat suffer for two days over
a weekend because I could not compromise my shelter by incurring a vet
emergency hospital bill that surely would have exceeded $500 just to get the
cat to Monday, when I could see my regular vet.  The cat did make it to
Monday (I almost did not), and the 3-day stay at "regular" rates leaves me
with a bill for $435.  I picked up the cat on Wednesday, although he is
still ill.  I felt that the vet, whom I admire and trust, did all that could
be done.  The cat has improved somewhat at home, and we hope for the best.
Worse yet, when we take our ferrets in we so often don't get anwers.
However, we always get the bill.

This is a good place to mention that Nina and Don Janes of Colorado Springs
answered our plea for assistance when vet bills were suffocating us.  Their
donations of food, Ferretone, raisins and cash resulted in a much improved
situation at our shelter.  Alice, who had waited so long for her
adrenalectomy, got her surgery.  Only the one tumor was present, and this
6-7 year old now has a full, lush coat of fur and is bouncing around like a
kid--uh, kit!  Nina and Don, we can't thank you enough.

Now, to the dentistry.  Ferrets are not immune to tartar buildup.  It's
something you need to check Usually it involves the top molars, furthest
back in the mouth.  You'll have to stretch the smile to see them.  If it
looks like they have a cavity--or a dark spot on the tooth--it is likely to
be tartar.  The gumline (gingiva) above it may be red and sensitive.  Your
vet will be glad to clean the teeth.  It involves anesthesia and at least 50
of your hard earned dollars.  The procedure takes about 5 minutes of the vet
tech's time.  This is an important health procedure that you can learn to do
at home, saving a lot of money and sparing your ferret anesthesia.  If you
wish the details, please send a stamped, self- addressed envelope to Ferret
Rescue of the Western States, 140 W. 29th St., Suite 191, Pueblo, CO 81008.

I got a little soap-boxy here, so I will reserve my comments on ferret
weight problems (more often too little weight than too much, but all will be
included), until the next FML.

  Carolyn Kinsey, Vet Tech/Shelter Operator

[Moderator's note: I'll get soap-boxy too then.  I've watched many
dentistries and I have even done a couple myself.  They take a *lot*
longer than 5 minutes if done correctly - sounds like all you are doing
is chipping off the tartar above the gum line - that's not a dentistry! BIG]