Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 94 08:48:56 CDT
Mac,

        I'm not the Dr., and I'm sure he'll have a comment or two, but I
thought I'd put in my $.02 since we've been dealing with the AVID (American
Veterinary I.D.) Microchip company here at the U. of Illinois for 2 years
now.  I can't speak to the Utah law, or to the cost, as AVID came last year
and is coming again in two weeks to supply all vet student's pets with free
microchips.  I don't think it's probably very expensive.  However, I can
speak to the practicality and humanity.  Practicality -- right now so-so, but
for the future, I think it will become more and more common for humane
societies especially to own microchip readers and use them to scan the pet
for an i.d.  I do know that bird vets recommend it as the best way to i.d.
your pet.  Humanity -- the chip is very tiny and it is implanted with a
syringe or gun a lot like an ear piercing gun.  The animals seem to object to
the restraint more than the implantation.  In ferrets, it's done right behind
the ear.  It is injected in the subcutaneous tissue, where fibrous tissue
collects around it and holds it there.  It is very safe, very painless, and
will be quite effective as more and more places own readers.  The chip is
encoded with a number that a scanner/reader reads.  You then call the
microchip company, tell them the number, and they have the owner info right
thre -- if I remember correctly there was a space for medical problems, too.
It's really a pretty nifty little device, and I hope that it catches on more
and more so that all animals are i.d.'d that way.

Laura

Laura L'Heureux Kupkee
U. of Illinois Vet Med `96