From:
"Erin E. Heinemeyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 17:05:18 -0700
hi all :)

and greeting from the fuzzies Poe & Raven :)

   As is most everyone else on the list, I too am disgusted by the MD
ferret outcome.  This prompted me to call the authorities and see what
the policies were.  I called the Animal Shelter here in Albuquerque, and
they seemed to know what they were talking about, so I haven't called
any other gov't. departments yet.  I asked what the policy was on a
ferret bite...the guy said well, we don't take ferrets in a bite case
because "ferrets don't carry rabies."  Interesting, I thought.  But
there seems to be no real threat of harm to a ferret due to a bite
case.

   Another interesting tid-bit I found out was that in order to own a
ferret you need an "exotic animal permit."  This came as somewhat of a
surprise to me, as the pet stores don't tell you about this (my vet.
didn't mention anything either), nor do any ferret owners I know have
one.  Nonetheless, one is supposed to go down to the office and fill
out an application.  The price is $50.00 a year.  I'm sure the
application includes proof or agreement for distemper shots etc, which
is a good idea, but they really don't seem to enforce it.  I suppose it
would be a good idea to have one though, if something were to happen.

   I'm not aware of any ferret shelters or breeders in New Mexico at the
moment, but I'll keep looking.

   Thought this info might be of interest to Pam of star ferrets or
whoever is keeping track of this stuff :)

   OH...and I also called performance foods today to see about getting
some Totally Ferret food to try out... they told me to send a check to
Totally Ferret (made out ot Performance Foods) for $17.95 for the 5 lb.
bag, I don't recall the 20 lb price, but that includes shipping and
handling.  I guess the important info here is the address.  Someone
recently posted an address, but they've moved.  The new address is:
                        208 Barley Dr.
                        Dayton, OH 45415

Erin, Poe & Raven