From:
Wes Hurley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:26:08 -0800
This is a spot of news about the Ferret And Dove Sanctuary, Inc.  in
Pensacola, Florida.  Good news-y items are several; we're getting one of
them-ther low rate small business loans to get the house reapirs done of
the damages from Hurricane Ivan, got several folks who have offered to
help with the fram-bent, smashed window when that SBA loan comes through,
and a local Courier Service has donated one of their second-hand cars
to us (that needs only minor repairs, of which we're friends with a
mechanic who can do said repairs for a song) so that we now have an
always-available emergency vehicle to run critters to the vets or animal
emergency clinic, etc.  at need.

The not-so-good is that several of the elderly ferrets have all come
down with insulinoma symptoms ( like pancreas cancer, plunges victim
into extreme low blood-sugar if not regularly fed to cover this, usually
ferrets start with an every-3-to-4 hour requirement)at the same time,
and now my feeder-list and pedia-pred giving-list has grown to five
teensy souls.  (And we supplementary-feed many more among the 50 ferrets
currently in Sanctuary) Just the beginnings of low-blood-sugar shock is
enough for us and our regular vet to treat any given ferret over 8 years
of age for insulinoma and three of the "new" insulinoma-ferrets are nine
years old, and Jazzmine Miss-Boss, our eldest as well, is going to be 13
years young this January.

The just plain weird is a pair of spayed and neutered rabbits we've also
been minding.  They're fine, we're still on the lookout for homes for
them, because besides being already spayed and neutered and best-friends,
they're also fantastically litter-box-trained and are about as ideal
of a pair of house-rabbits as anyone might ask for...except...?  Well,
you see, it's the fall season in the Northern Hemisphere, here.  Linus,
the brown lop-eared fellow, has usually been bolder, anyway than his
buddie-girl, white-with-brown-spots Cassidy.  Yesterday Linus the
rabbit did something neither I nor Wes have ever heard any of our other
rabbits do.

He ran right up to Wesley's shoed feet and actually growled at him.
(then hopped into the day-cage with Cassidy).

We've never heard of a rabbit growling. Just plain weird.