From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 08:35:38 -0500
Sorry that I am so behind, so I will try and jam a couple of things into
each message so I can keep up:

On last night's post, I mistyped that the occasional squabble on the Internet
or the FML doesn't make us any "last friends", I meant "doesn't make us any
less friends, meaning, of course, that the occasional flash of temper should
not disrupt our online friendships".  When I get tired, my fingers don't do
what my brain tells them to.....

Concerning several treats for ferrets: Pretzels are okay in moderation.  A
small piece of pretzel is okay, but a whole pretzelis certainly pushing it.
That's a fair amount of salt for a small animal, and there really isn't any
usable nutrition there.

concerning Coca-Cola - a very small amount here.  Talk about your empty
calories!!!  Some people believe that the sugar in these drinks, if given on a
regular basis, may lead to development insulinomas due to the requirement for
insulin to break down the incoming bolus of sugar.  I'm not sure if this is
correct, but I know that Coke provides no nutritional value to ferrets.  A
taste is okay, but no more, please.

Concerning when ferrets need there first yearly distemper booster - this is
usually given one year after the last distemper booster - so at 1 year, 16
weeks of age.  But this is not a hard and fast rule, as long as it is within
this time frame.  Some people like to give it annually on the animal's
birthday.  At my house, on 1 Jan., everyone gets their shots.  Giving it a few
weeks early won't hurt anything.  For most animals, you could give it monthly
with no ill side effects (but I think yearly is a much better choice).  (Ouch -
now I'm confusing "there" and "their"...?!!!)

Bruce Williams  [log in to unmask]   (202) 782-2600