From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 12:03:28 -0400
Three more quick vaccine pointers:

NO medication additives in the Benedryl!  Benedryl is a forgiving
medication; but combo meds can be very dangerous for ferrets.  For
instance, Tylenol will kill them.  The amounts given vary among people,
so ask your vet how much the vet advises.  We usually use about 0.3 ml
of the Pediatric liquid about 20 minutes beforehand, but I know of ones
giving more.  Some vets prefer to give a Benedryl shot beforehand
instead.

Merial Purevax CD vaccine has a far, far lower vaccination reaction risk
according to multiple vets.  When it was lab tested it had not reactions,
and when it was field tested it had only one.  Since then I have heard of
only a scant handful of reactions in various ferret fora.  It costs a bit
more but that is worth the much improved safety involved.  If your vet
doesn't carry it then arrange for the vet to contact Merial and order it.

Know what type of vaccine (Fervac D, Galaxy D, etc.) was given: that
ferret must avoid that type from now on.