From:
Donna - Educated Ferret Assoc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 21:11:55 EST
I have been reading the FML for about three months and as I sit here
reading today about the Marshal Farms issues, many thoughts go through my
head.

I do not see Marshal Farms bashing but a lot of caring ferret and shelter
humans that are watching what is happening to their ferrets.  They are
scared, hurt, and frustrated as they watch these poor helpless creatures
succumb to disease at a way to early age.  As a shelter director for going
on four years and ferret owner for over nine, I feel the same way.  I have
cared for over 350 in the rescue and seven of our own, and I see way too
much daily.

Most of my ferret education came from the ferrets.  Our Josie taught us
about insulomia at five years of age she passed over the rainbow bridge.
Sammy was six when he taught us about adrenal disease and 7 when our
insulomia training had to be used again.  Hercules passed at eight from
insulomia, AJ at 9 with heart disease, and our beloved Bandit at 9 he
survived adrenal surgery, insulomia and lymphoma finally took him.
Mischief our oldest rescue foster had right adrenal surgery, lost a
kidney, and part of his liver at four, insulomia at 8 and passed at 9.
They were all Marshall Farms.  Our Sparky was 36 months when he had his
left adrenal out, and had the right our last spring at three and a half
years old.  Also MF.  Our youngest rescue MF ferret had to have insulomia
surgery in Boston was Merlin at 18 months of ages and will be on pred the
rest of his life.  He was adopted by a wonderful human anyway.  Last year
one of our local pet stores sold a four month old MF ferret that passed
away one week after he was purchased.  I assisted with two local vet tech
students on a necropsy and he had lymphoma.  It was verified by our local
vet.  Unfortunately assisting vet students with this task is part of our
educational program.  Too many times I see more of what goes on inside a
ferret with these illnesses than most humans.

During the last four years I have visited the many local pet stores and
watch the ferrets as they came in.  I asked many questions and helped the
employees and new owners they sent to us to learn how to care for these
creatures.  What I saw was four years ago the ferrets delivered to the
stores were about 8 to 10 weeks old, with teeth, eating ferret food and
pretty healthy.  They were put out on the floor when delivered.  Three
years ago some were smaller and younger and I discussed with the employees
about giving them wet food.  Occasionally a couple would come in with
prolapsed rectums.  For over a year not I have had weekly calls from
distraught caring employees with sick ferrets.  I have visited the stores
and found ferrets with prolapsed rectum, Hugh stomach with their teeth
just barely showing, and they spay and neuter lines still there and many
infected.  They could not eat regular food and several calls to the vet
were made.  One had to have surgery on his rectum, which MF refused to
reimburse.  The employees have to keep the ferrets in the back for at
least two weeks or more before they can be placed on the floor.  AT Petco
one of the November shipments all came in with a respiratory problem.
Bless Petco for having a traveling vet on call.  I have also seen in the
last three months two ferrets from Petco and one surrender same age, with
a deformed jaw.  The vet told me she was seeing more of this in other
stores also.  As a ferret lover I know how these people feel and as an
educational facility I have to go to the ferrets and ask what is happening
to these animals.  Our vets are very concerned as they see so many sick
young ferrets.

Callie our mascot has taught me many things.  She is deaf, knows eight
sign languages signals, and has been teaching ferret care along with me
for three years.  One day I looked at her woman to woman and she gave me
her thoughts.  Mommy some humans say every month of my life is a year to
yours.  Our vet says our growth is like yours, but different in time.
Every year of my life is about 10 to 12 years of yours.  If you fixed me
at puberty-six to eight months-10 to 14 in human years I would be OK with
hormones.  If you fixed me at 7 to 8 weeks- 4-6 years in human, my body
would be developed and I might be OK with hormones, lots of healthy food,
medicine and special care.  A vet told me my brain tells me what to do,
my heart keeps the body and brain going, my adrenal is my body clock and
tells me when to do things, like grow, shed and mate, If you fix me at
three weeks old and these things are not developed ??????????  What would
happen to a two year old girl if she was fixed????????  I can't count
Mommy but I understand when you look sad when you pick me up and love me.

How do I feel as a ferret owner and rescue director?  SCARED, HURT, and
FRUSTRATED, over seeing things going on with my babies and not knowing
how to prevent it.  How do we start the changes and where can we make the
changes?  Thank you FML subscribers for being there and caring.

Callie
Sparky
Arielle
Joshua