From:
Scott Beisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 09:35:42 -0700
I know you are going to get a ton of responses to this, so I'll let the more
qualified give you the details.  You will more than likely hear about the
infamous ferret attack incident where a baby's face was disfigured.  I'm not
completely familiar with the details, but from what I have heard, the
parents appear more at blame than the ferret.  It is this type of rare
incident that keeps being brought up when we are trying to legalize ferrets
in California.

Since you are asking this question, you are already showing that you will be
a responsible parent and pet owner.  This ferret was apparently left
unattended with the baby.  I just want to emphasize that leaving *any* pet
unattended with a baby is pure irresponsibility.  Even though ferrets are
200 times less likely to bite than the dog, I would be sure to supervise all
contact.

So my philosophy is, you should be okay keeping your ferrets when you decide
to have your baby.  Just make sure you use common sense.  Every time I hear
ferret bite incidents, I most often find the failure to use common sense.

Otherwise, kids and ferrets are a good combination.
~  Support legalization of the Domestic Ferret     ~
~        as a companion pet in California!         ~
~              Visit the Weasel Web at             ~
~ http://www.ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/weasel.html  ~
~      Scott Beisner, Webmaster & President        ~
~          Golden State Ferret Society             ~
~   [log in to unmask] <<or>> [log in to unmask]    ~