From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 02:57:24 EST
> Date:    Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:11:10 EST
> From:    [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Losing hair

>         Remember, a lot of people don't even notice signs of disease unitl
> hair loss is very prominent, and rescue operations are always receiving bald
> ferrets which require the surgery to remove long standing adrenal lesions.

>        Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology

        Boy you hit the nail right on the head with that remark.  We've
recieved quite a few bald ferrets.  Several of wich the owners just set
them outside to fend for themselves.  Makes you want to screem sometimes.
We do accept sick ferrets and we take care of them on matter what.  Some
times the owner can't afford the vet bills and drop off sick ferrets.  I
guess this is alot better than just tossing them out the back door.  In
cases like this we make the owner sign a release form.  We don't want to
pay for surgery and have the owner go opps I've changed my mind I want
him/her back.  I wish our shelter did have the money to help pay for poorer
owner's surgery. Although as most of you who run or volunteer for a shelter
know there isn't much money to go around.

        Sorry for rambling again, but it has several weeks since I've even
had the time to read FML let alone reply.

        Happy holidays to you all.

        Brad, Sebastian, Mako, and Bambie(Bambie is one of those found
outdoors and as bald as Kojack ferrets.  She is also the longest serviving
adrenal patient the shelter has taken in.)