From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:20:38 -0800
I think Danee HAS a good point.  We have a foster grandparents program
at Ferret Wise for those hospice residents who are not adoptable due to
medical conditions, age and required medical care.  We don't get a lot of
partici[pation in this-- but when we do it surely helps.

Especially now that due to our emergency admission status ( taking in
ferrets from out of state cruelty investigations) all ferret must be ADV
tested upon admission.  Believe me, this is a most important thing to do
for ALL the ferrets - those in the shelter, those coming into the shelter
and especially those whom the sheltered ferrets would eventually be living
with.  The need to do it was clear, but weighing what we would sacrifice
from a tight budget already was another issue!  However at Ferret Wise
that is our policy and we work ever harder to raise the funds not only to
provide food, shelter & veterinary care,,, but also ADV testing prior to
admission.

With regards to the proposed sposorship[ program: every time someone does
indeed choose to foster a ferret be it a hospice or an ADV ferret, they are
helping the serving shelter by lifting the load just a little bit-- that
way the budget can stretch a little more.  Hopefully this type of program
will help those ADV shelters continue to provide care for the ferrets who
they graciously admitted.  Indeed this is a very worthwhile program, and
if it will keep the door open for those rescue ferrets who test positive
which need sheltering I enthusiastically say yes-- There is a NEED for this
kind of program.  Thanks Danee for thinking of this ( and thank you for
fostering two of our kids here too!)

I also think there is a need for more folks WHO CAN - can to consider
taking in an older or special needs ferret from some of our shelters-- to
free up space for the lists of ferrets who need a place to go.  It would
make a nearly perfect world wouldn't it?

Alicia
just another shelter mom at Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org