From:
"Bill Gruber, FML moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 02:02:19 EST
Over the last few days I've gotten many comments from people about the tone
some posts have been taking.  In particular, the nastiness surrounding the
ECE controversy at the Seattle show was an issue, although other posts were
involved too.

Some of these comments were meant for the FML, but for the most part I left
them out.  In general these posts tried to emphasize how disgusting some
people could be and I felt they weren't quite appropriate in a dicussion
meant to be about ferrets, however well-intended they were.  Of course, I
also received a couple of comments thanking me letting people express
themselves on the issue.

And that's kinda my point here.  People have strong opinions about some
issues.  And with over 2800 people on the list, these strong opinions often
conflict.  Yet, if these opinions provide some insight and information
that's directly related to ferrets, I try to be lenient and include strongly
worded posts provided there's no direct flaming.  That last provision is a
bit tricky -- I mean, it's no secret to many of you that there's a lot that
could be read "between the lines", so to speak, and it's a real dilema.

You see, I actually reject a fair number of posts.  But when I reject a
post, it's usually for a pretty clear reason and I inform the poster exactly
why.  If I were to scrutinze every post in detail, deciding if someone
somewhere was being insulted, making sure every post was politically correct
and absolutely appropriate, then it wouldn't be *your* FML, it would mine.
That's simply not fair to you, nor acceptable to me.

Sadly, I realize that some control is necessary and I do the best I can.  I
fear that by exercising even minimal control some coloration with my beliefs
is inevitable, but such is the life of a moderator.

Above all, realize this is your list.  I read your comments and very much
appreciate them.  And to a great degree it's all of you who dictate my
direction.  Yeah, I get a scathing letter now and then (and I usually even
appreciate those) but I get a heck of a lot more encouraging ones.  That's
nice :-).  I just wish I had time to answer them all.

And finally, please remember that opinions or just that: OPINIONS.  Although
some people are fond of stating opinions as if they were fact I hope that by
posting various viewpoints we all have the tools to form our own opinions.

Thank you all for your amazing support.  Furrball lovers are indeed a rare
breed.

Bill