From:
Mary Sennwald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:21:36 -0500
Hello all, I am seeking some information, please, from anyone who has the
time to spare to send it to me.  My vet has been repeatedly asking me if I
would consider setting up a ferret rescue/shelter.  He has now offered his
services, and a facility to do it in.  My quandary, is although I have
chaired boards, and done fund raising, and grant applications, etc. for
non-profit organizations before, I have never run an animal shelter.  I
really want to take the time to do a lot of research before i even start
to try to put anything together.  I want to do this thing right.

Those of you who are shelter folks, if you have the time to send me info
on what seemed to work well for you, the pitfalls you ran into, and what
you found was the best way to work your set-up (physically and on paper) I
would be very grateful.  I am just trying to not reinvent the wheel here,
and to do the best I can for our fuzzy friends.  I plan to contact the
Humane Society here for info on licensing, and to pick their brains
somewhat, plus to get hold of the Federal Tax and State Tax folks, to
find out what their requirements are, plus the health board, resource for
possible foster parents, and do some screening.  I already contacted the
bank, to see what they require for 501(c) 3 account.  I also will make very
sure I keep the finances for my own ferrets separate.

I am thinking that this may possibly be something that would possibly be
best emailed to me privately, as I don't want to clutter the list with
posts that probably don't pertain to the greater part of the readership.  I
am in Florida, and I realize that especially government requirements will
vary from state to state, but any and all info is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Mary and the Merry Band of 10