From:
Jenny Osborne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:45:35 EST
Hi all !  I got tickled reading the original post about Mary Ann
"plucking" her ferrets.  It was funny because I do the same thing with
Sassy.

Sassy's an older ferret.  I don't see her picking her loose fur as much
as she used to - but her cagemates do.  In an effort to keep them from
getting hairballs, I pull Sassy's loose fur when she's shedding.  I've
tried all sorts of brushes.  Forget it!  She'd rather hurt herself
getting away from me.

Of all my ferrets, Sassy has the thickest, most beautiful fur.  When she
sheds, she blows part of the undercoat, never her guard hairs.  Our fur
picking has become a way of showing affection.  She will lay in my lap
for the better part of an hour, eyes closed, with (I swear!) a smile on
her little bandit face, while I pick loose fur (clip a nail), pick more
loose fur (clip another nail have a lick of Ferretone), until we're done.
After that, I get my face and ears washed.

Sassy loves it and I don't stress her trying to use the hated brush.
She's also the only one of our 15 that dislikes being brushed. :-)

Jenny and the Fuzzbutts Fifteen