From:
Paul Sadek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 16:50:30 +0000
I share all of the concerns for the little guy who was rescued by Dayna, who
is having his paws amputated because of a previous owner's cruelty.  I also
understand and share the anger.

BUT, I am a bit distressed at comments which suggest torture, lynching, or
eternal damnation as justice for the perpetrator.  Folks, we have NO idea
who this person is, or what the circumstances were.  One person suggested
that it may have been done by a child with a particularly sadistic streak.

I suggest the additional possibility that this ferret was abused by a
mentally ill person.  Is this really so difficult to imagine, gang?

We live in what we *consider* to be a civilized society.  And while we would
never condone something like what was done to that ferret, as a people we do
not assign guilt to someone incapable of responsibility for their
actions--and such people include small children and the mentally ill.

I have always believed that harboring such thoughts of vengeance detracts
from our purpose--the care of ferrets.

Maybe I'm wrong.  If so, get your shotguns and go out and hunt the person
down; but be prepared for the possibility of finding a child, a mentally
retarded adult, or an elderly person suffering from senility.

Let's try to insure that pets end up with people capable of giving them
proper care.  But please, let's not give too much time and energy to
thoughts of revenge against someone who is likely not playing with a full
deck.

Paul Sadek