From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:16:26 -0400
I spoke with Karen Burns in the Animal Control office for about an hour
today.  She was very personable and seemed to care about Kodo and all
animals, as well as for humans.  She's not in a good position.

She also indicated that there were several pro-Kodo forces who had been less
than civil--including one who threatened to kill her.  It is my contention
that this behavior will only hurt our causes.  She thanked me for being
"civil." It makes me sad that my behavior would be remarkable to her when
considered against that of other ferret owners.

Her most poignant statement to me was that because the shedding studies have
not been completed, she feels that her hands are tied.  She can either go
with inconclusive or incomplete statistics and save Kodo, while (in her mind)
risking the life of the bite victim, or she can do the worse thing, and be
sure she's protecting a human life.  I do not envy her.

It occurred to me that if I had put half the energy and money into the
shedding studies as I have into saving Kodo (and believe me, I have invested
many days and a lot of money), perhaps we would have the results she needs
to free him now.  She encouraged me to contact as many fert owners as I can
and ask them to mobilize an army of people committed (with our donations) to
getting the shedding studies completed.  Information is going to be our only
weapon against this type of thing happening to any of our ferts.

I asked her about the victim taking the shots.  She indicated that that was
an option, and it would save Kodo, but the shedding studies are the only
hope for all of ferretdom.  I told her I would be beating the door down to
take the shots if it would save Kodo, and I felt like the victim should be
given the option.  I told her the story of the little girl from Colorado and
the bear that was posted yesterday.

I faxed her 16 pages of rabies information.  Thank you, Ferret Central!  She
promised she would read it, and that she would consider it before Kodo is
euthanized.  She also indicated that if a higher authority asked her not to
euthanize Kodo, she would not.  But she needs that authority.  The
Governor's office told me that he did not have that authority.  I indicated
my disbelief--if he can pardon a convicted felon, he can pardon an innocent
ferret.

I honestly think I've done all I can from Texas.  Now I'm going to pray (as
if I haven't been already!).

It's a strange world we live in when Kodo is guilty and OJ is not.

ch